For the perfect spicy and crispy fried chicken, this simple recipe ensures your chicken is packed full of flavour and has a great crunch
The ingredient of Southern fried chicken recipe
- 2 x 1kg whole chickens
- 375ml (11u20442 cups) buttermilk
- 180g (2 cups) dried (packaged) breadcrumbs
- 115g (3/4 cup) plain flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cajun seasoning (store-bought or mix up your own blend, see notes)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Canola oil, to deep-fry
The instruction how to make Southern fried chicken recipe
- Cut each chicken into 8 pieces.
- Combine the chicken and buttermilk in a large bowl. Place in the fridge for 6 hours or overnight to marinate.
- Combine the breadcrumbs, flour, seasoning and paprika in a large shallow dish or large sealable plastic bag.
- Drain chicken, and discard buttermilk. Add a piece of chicken to breadcrumb mixture. Turn to coat. Transfer to a large plate. Repeat with remaining chicken. Place chicken in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
- Heat oil in an electric deep-fryer to 180C. If using a large saucepan, heat oil on high heat to 180C. Deep-fry chicken, in 4 batches, for 2-3 minutes or until crisp and light golden. Drain on paper towel.
- Preheat the oven to 160C/140C fan forced. Transfer the fried chicken to 2 wire racks, each set over a roasting pan or baking tray. Bake for 25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Nutritions of Southern fried chicken recipecalories: